Friday 22 January 2010

Reading a book is fun to do, fun to do, to do, to do

I finished the Twilight books in December, and they were alright - quite gripping, actually, but I'm not going to watch the movies. I'm sure I'll survive. There's too much in them that I don't want to see. Sorry. I'm going against the decree of Monica. I also don't think Mom would really enjoy them too much. I do think she needs to read The Work and the Glory and The Fishers of Men books. Those are great and very worthwhile reading. I just read The Hunger Games, and that was interesting. I'm glad they didn't go into much gore. I was worried about that. Interesting how the romance stuff went. Kind of left me hanging at the end, so I had to go to the library and request the second book, which they are going to send from some other AAFES library. In the meantime, I'm going to read The Book Thief. Our ward has a book club, and that's the book we'll discuss in February. January's book was Dr. Laura's The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. That was pretty good, especially the chapters on loving and respecting your husband. The rest of the information was covered better in Gary Lundt's book/CD that I showed you at Deseret Book - I can't remember the name of it now. If you ever desire to "read" it, listen to him on the CD's. WAY better. Anyway, I'm still working on Inkheart. It is much more fun to read a book than to watch the movie. However, I've already seen Inkheart, so it's not as exciting as it would be if I didn't already know the whole story. Though I do like the actors from the movie, so as I read, they fit well and make the book enjoyable. I'm also reading a Star Wars book with Justin that started when Dooku had just been chosen as a Padawan, and then goes to when he had Qui-Gon as his padawan, and now we're up to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. It's a fun book. Reading only one chapter a night is rather slow-going, though, so perhaps this weekend we'll read more of it. Nathan checked out The Mouse and the Motorcycle, so I suppose I'll be reading that with him. He can read it himself - he was so excited when his teacher let him check out a chapter book. That doesn't happen much in Kindergarten. There are still so many in his class that still don't know the names and sounds of all the letters. In Montana, it was different - more advanced. But here, I don't know, it's like they're just happy the kids come to school, and their main goal is to make sure they all feel good about themselves. Anyway - enough of that. I think we might put our kids in the English schools. It'd be a neat experience, and make our time over here more memorable. There's a family who lived here years ago, and when we asked the kids about it, all they could say was that it rained a lot and they saw lots of castles. I want to come back with British accents, British mannerisms, and speaking the British language. You might think, as I did, that they speak English here, which they do, but it is NOT the same English that Americans speak. So, I'd like to learn the language and culture. When we are asked in the years to come about our trip to England, we will have so much more to say than - "It rained a lot and we saw lots of castles." There you go. I'm going to stop writing now. Have a happy day.
Love,
Emily :)

4 comments:

  1. You will need to start saying "I'm not bothered." my sister just got home from her mission in England (more up North, though. It was the Leeds mission, but she never served there). Anyway, she would knock on people's doors, and they'd say, "No thanks, I'm not bothered." Basically means a million things like "not interested" or "it doesn't concern me". She says it when she doesn't care about something like when you ask her what she wants to do today, "I don't know, I'm not bothered". It's pretty funny.

    She also says underwear is called pants and pants are called trousers. Dinner is called "tea" and lunch is called dinner. That's all I can remember right now, but it's pretty funny. She did come home with an accent. not a British one though, and Irish one. It's hilarious. SHe had a couple Irish comps.

    As for the Twilight series, you aren't missing much with the first movie. The second was a lot better. I agree that Mom wouldn't like them :-) Too much teenager drama with superficial issues and emotions. Seriously I have no idea why Edward likes Bella, other than her "blood is like my own personal heroin." so dumb. Tom liked the movie, though. He has only read the first book, but he really likes the score and soundtrack and listens to it all the time.

    Well, I'm practically writing a blog post in this comment, so I'll stop now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the Twilight books but you won't miss much if you don't see the movies. I liked them fine but the books are tons better. LOVED The Book Thief. Just starting to get into The Hunger Games....have them on my bookshelf ready to go but I haven't started it yet.
    I went to London for a week once with Bryan. People would tease me about being from "the colonies." Cracked me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. agree with Sarah - The Book Thief is one of my favorites. It's wonderful. I so much enjoyed The Hunger Games, and I agree with you, I was relieved that it wasn't so gorey and rough as I expected it to by. Also, I'm antsy for my mom to buy book two and read it so that I can borrow it! I hate when books end as a cliff hanger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked The Book Thief too. I also loved The Hunger Games!!! Great stuff! Can't wait for the third to come out!! The second ends with a cliff hanger as well. And I was going to recommend (in as offhand a way as possible to avoid offending anyway) The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. It is a life-changing book in my case. I bought it so I can read it frequently. And I loved the Inkheart series too! You're reading some awesome books right now! The movie was appalling in how terrible it was. Ugh. Ugh! (I feel so well read! I've read every book you mentioned!) (Except for the Fishers of Men ones, I had just finished the Work and the Glory and had had enough of Gerald Lund for a while) (OK, I'll stop with my parenthetical annotations now) (Bye!)

    ReplyDelete